Saturday, March 1, 2008

Potatoes!


Potatoes last year were so great, we just had to try them again. This time I planted All Blues and All Reds. 7 plants each, from starter seed potatoes. I have a little spot for them on the side of the house. I dug three trenches (amended the soil a couple of months ago and covered it to prevent weed growth), placed potatoes in them, and covered with mulch. They should pop through in a few weeks and then I'll mound them as they go along.
Last year's All Blues were great and super productive. Yukon Golds were good too but not nearly as productive. With only a little land, they had to go...we'll see how the All Reds do...stay tuned.

2 comments:

Alice said...

What is "amending" the soil? Do you mean you had to change it all? I know potatoes normally have to be grown in a different place each year to prevent disease - are you getting around this somehow in your small space?

Joe D. said...

I amended the soil with my own garden compost and some additional soil mixed in to break up some of the clay soil (we have lots of clay issues in Berkeley). As for planting in the same place, I don't have the room to rotate so I just go for it. So far so good but it is a disease risk so I am told. The proof will be in the potatoes. Plants so far are doing well and most are poking out of the ground.